Art Instruction at Cottonwood Center for the Arts
Design and create a circular book while learning watercolor technique and basic color theory working with a limited palette.
Jana L. Bussanich believes that function and beauty need never be separated. She has designed a circular book to serve as a reference for visual notes recorded by each student while mastering four basic watercolor techniques and color theory. Each book is a colorful reference for future watercolor paintings. Label techniques; add notes, inspirational quotes, and sketches to complete the project. No experience needed. All levels and ages welcome. Recommended for ages 12 years and older.
Take watercolor technique and color theory classes from Jana L. Bussanich or one of her instructors, Leslie McCrea, or Mo Morrow at Cottonwood Center for the Arts located in downtown Colorado Springs. Classes meet weekly for two hours.
LEVEL 100: REGISTER NOW: TUESDAYS | OCTOBER 1-22 | 10 AM TO 12 PM | $100 with Leslie McCrea
LEVEL 100: REGISTER NOW: TUESDAYS | OCTOBER 1-22 | 1 PM TO 3 PM | $100 with Leslie McCrea
LEVEL 100: REGISTER NOW: WEDNESDAYS | OCTOBER 2-23 | 6 PM TO 8 PM | $100 with Mo Morrow
LEVEL 100: REGISTER NOW: TUESDAYS | NOVEMBER 5-26 | 10 AM TO 12 PM | $100 with Leslie McCrea
LEVEL 100: REGISTER NOW: TUESDAYS | NOVEMBER 5-26 | 1 PM TO 3 PM | $100 with Leslie McCrea
LEVEL 100: REGISTER NOW: WEDNESDAYS | NOVEMBER 6, 13, 20, DECEMBER 4 | 6 PM TO 8 PM | $100 with Mo Morrow
Prerequisite: Level 200 classes are for those who have completed a minimum of 8-12 weeks (2-3 four-week sessions) in the Watercolor Technique & Color Theory Level 100 class with instructor approval.
Students in the Level 200 class will continue to practice and master the watercolor technique and advanced color theory while working with a limited watercolor palette. Course work also includes an introduction to necessary drawing skills and methods of transfer (grid drawings, use of graphite paper, etc.) along with how to evaluate and choose paints to meet your painting goals. Classes fill quickly. To guarantee your spot, sign up for one, two, or three 4-week sessions (or more) at a time.
ADVANCED WATERCOLOR TECHNIQUE + COLOR THEORY with Jana L. Bussanich
Prerequisite: Level 300 classes are for those who have completed a minimum of 6-8 four-week sessions in the last 12 months with Jana L. Bussanich in the Watercolor Technique & Color Theory Level 100 class and/or 200 classes combined.
Course work includes continued practice in watercolor technique and advanced color theory working with a limited palette with the continued development of necessary drawing skills, composition and methods of transfer (grid drawings, use of graphite paper, etc.). This class is well suited for those who like to practice and paint independently between classes.
Sketch Hunters Register Here
Join us for our new sketch series, offered Wednesdays through October.
SKETCH HUNTERS: Watercolor & Ink INSTRUCTORS: Jana L. Bussanich and Leslie McCrea
Each tour starts at Jana L. Bussanich Art Studio located at 218 W. Colorado Avenue, under the bridge. Arrive at 10:00 am to meet members of the group, bring your coffee and enjoy instructor demonstrations. Groups will depart on foot at 10:15 a.m., returning by noon. You may treat your registration like a four-session punch card: come consecutively OR to the sessions that work with your schedule, through October.
Four 2-hour Classes $110.00 Wednesday’s 10 am-12 pm
Private and Semi-Private Classes
- Color Theory: Learn basic to advanced color theory working with a limited palette.
- Watercolor Technique: Introduction to four basic watercolor techniques.
- Student-Directed Work: Bring original works of art to life with an emphasis on creative development and design rendered in watercolor.
- Private (1 student) $210.00 + $20 materials fee for 4 / 75 minute sessions ages 13 to adult. All levels.
- Semi-Private ( 2-4 Students ages 13 to adult) $165.00 + $20 materials fee per person for 4 / 75 minute sessions. All levels
- Semi-Private Youth (2-4 Students) $100.00 + $20 materials fee per person for 4 / 1 hour sessions ages 4-12. All levels. Sibling discount available.
Jana for more information.
Class Times: Scheduled to meet your needs.
Class Days: Varied. Contact Instructor to discuss scheduling
Most materials included
Accordion Book Making Workshop
- Combine watercolor techniques and basic color theory and bind one accordion book with blank pages for adding other things.
- Materials & Refreshments Included. $100.00
- Gather 3-5 friends and book your date
- The 4-hour workshop includes bookbinding materials, beverage, and a light snack
Handmade Book Binding: $210 + $35 materials fee
- Requires 4 /1-hour classes to complete the project.
- Design and make a book cover, tear/cut paper for signatures, bind book using Coptic stitch.
- Fee: Same as 4 private sessions
Contact Jana to schedule your private workshop.